The Coach Simple plan uses the 5-Day playbook install to get your system taught quickly.
All of the systems inside JDFB Coaching Systems use a version of this principle. The 5-day playbook install plan gets your base playbook installed in just one week of practice.
The plan is to have enough installed so that you could play a game or scrimmage. You might not have everything, but you have enough.
Part 1: The 5-Day Playbook Install Plan
- For coaches using a Coach Simple, Play Fast, Win philosophy the 5-Day Install is another check to avoid playbook bloat.
- Make sure that you do not overload your players by putting in too much, too fast. They will feel a little overwhelmed, but it is expected and you’ll get through it.
- The plan also keeps you moving along through your playbook install, instead of getting bogged down on minutiae.
Part 2: Building Your 5-Day Install Schedule
- Break your install schedule down into a chart with your 5 days across the top and each position group along the side.
- Work backwards. Figure out just what you need to have for that first scrimmage or game day.
- Start plugging in the pieces. Try to keep new install to one new thing per day for each position group.
Part 3: Executing the 5-Day Playbook Install
- Once you have your 5-Day Playbook Install chart completed, you can start plugging this into your practice plans.
- Every day, the team has a goal for installation. Each position group also has their focus for what needs to be installed. Build the practice plan around that focus.
- Do not waste time on drills that are not directly related to your install. If you run a drill during Indy that does not get used later in practice, it is a waste of time.