Winning a State Championship with the 4-2-5 Defense
Using a creative evolution in the coverage package leading to a modified 2-Read Coverage in his 4-2-5 Defense, Hollis-Brookline High School Defensive Coordinator Fred Hubert helped lead his team to a New Hampshire State Championship in 2019. Find out the keys to the team’s success and how this take the 2-Read Quarters Coverage package can work for your defense.
Coach Hubert is a client with JDFB Coaching Systems. While a lot of what he’s doing on defense looks the same, the coverage adjustment was a successful twist on the package. Probably one I’ll be stealing down the line.
Find out how this 2-Read Coverage adjustment can help your run defense, as well as your pass coverage. The Free Safety gets to operate as more of a linebacker and get more involved in the run game.
2-Read Coverage Show Notes
- What contributed most to the 2019 State Championship season
- Why Coach Hubert and Hollis-Brookline went to the 4-2-5 Defense
- The adjustment from Cover 1 to the 2-Read Coverage
- How to run the 2-Read Coverage package and adjustments to formations
- What the Hollis-Brookline staff looks at when game planning for next week’s opponent
- In-game adjustments for the 2-Read coverage package
- You can contact Coach Hubert for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coaching the 4-2-5 Defense from Season 7 of The Football Coaching Podcast
- How to Coach Overhang Safeties and Outside Linebackers in Season 5 of The Football Coaching Podcast
- For better run fits, study the Umbrella Principle in this article.
- Coaching Split Field Quarters Coverage with the Cover 2 concept from my YouTube channel